| TIP: Click on subject to list as thread! | ANSI |
| echo: | |
|---|---|
| to: | |
| from: | |
| date: | |
| subject: | Avoid damaging the body armor when you get blown up |
From: "Rich Gauszka" otherwise some silly military bureaucracy will bite you http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id =1001993858 UPDATE: Story on Wounded Soldier Who Had to Pay for Body Armor Gets Results By E&P Staff Published: February 08, 2006 2:15 PM ET NEW YORK A story in the Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette yesterday, later featured in an E&P article, stirred up a hornet's nest -- as well as thousands of dollars in donations. West Virginia's two U.S. senators, Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd, asked top military leaders Tuesday to explain why 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV apparently had to reimburse the U.S. Army $700 last week for body armor and other gear damaged after he was seriously wounded by a roadside bomb in Iraq. The military officials said it sounded like an unusual case, but they would look into it. More than 200 people donated at least $5,700 to Rebrook after reading about his body armor payment to the Army in an article by Eric Eyre. The vast majority of it came after a popular blog, AmericaBlog, called for and collected funds, but others also contributed via the newspaper and a local radio station. Rebrook, 25, who attended West Point and was medically discharged from the Army last week, said he wouldn't keep the donations. He's paying back the people he borrowed from to take care of the $700 bill, and also passing along the money to charity and a Louisiana woman who lost her home in Hurricane Katrina -- the woman's son helped save his life in Iraq, he said. http://wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000000109 Army to reimburse soldier for body armor (12:56 pm) Eric Eyre Staff writer The U.S. Army will reimburse 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook of Charleston for body armor that was destroyed after he was seriously injured by a roadside bomb in Iraq, a Fort Hood, Texas, Army base division spokesman said Wednesday morning. Rebrook was made to pay for the body armor last week after being medically discharged from the Army. Fort Hood officials said Rebrook failed to fill out the proper paperwork that would have exempted the body armor from a list of missing items the soldier was charged for when he left the Army. "There were procedures that weren't followed, and we're not sure why they weren't," said Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwell, the First Calvary Division's spokesman at Fort Hood. "But regardless, he'll get reimbursed for the vest. It was documented as being destroyed in combat." Rebrook said Wednesday that he followed the procedures. --- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5* Origin: Barktopia BBS Site http://HarborWebs.com:8081 (1:379/45) SEEN-BY: 633/267 270 5030/786 @PATH: 379/45 1 633/267 |
|
| SOURCE: echomail via fidonet.ozzmosis.com | |
Email questions or comments to sysop@ipingthereforeiam.com
All parts of this website painstakingly hand-crafted in the U.S.A.!
IPTIA BBS/MUD/Terminal/Game Server List, © 2025 IPTIA Consulting™.