Miami Crash Death Toll Rises
The death count in the crash of a cargo jet near Miami Inter-
national Airport rose to at least five yesterday when investigators
combing the charred wreckage found two more bodies. At least one of
the victims was found in a car beneath the remains of the jet.
Police said two people had been reported missing since the Fine
Air Services DC-8-61F aircraft slammed through a busy commercial
district at lunchtime Thursday. All four members of the cargo jet's
crew were believed to have perished in the disaster.
----------------------------------------------------
DALLAS -- For the second time in as many months, AMR
Corp. has reached a tentative agreement with the union
representing pilots at its regional airline, American Eagle.
The Air Line Pilots Association will send ballots to the 1,900
regional pilots to vote on the agreement next week. The results
are scheduled to be counted next Friday.
In July, negotiators reached an accord, but it was rejected by
the pilots on a 642-505 vote.
The agreement reached Friday offers improved wage increases
for first officers, guarantees an annual pay raise for all
pilots, and grants pilots more time to reach the airport when
called out to a flight. Pilots now earn about $35,000 on average.
The agreement would replace four separate contracts with
Eagle affiliates with a single accord, merging seniority lists and
allowing pilots to bid on flying across the system.
The affiliates are Simmons Airlines of Fort Worth, Texas;
Executive Airlines of San Juan, Puerto Rico; Flagship Airlines of
Nashville, Tenn., and Wings West Airlines of San Luis Obispo,
Calif.
Knoxville News Sentinel 9 Aug 1997
----------------------------------
Portuguese airline pilots strike, flights cancelled
LISBON (August 9, 1997 12:16 p.m. EDT) --- In a bitter dispute
over working hours, state-owned airline TAP-Air Portugal's pilots
went back on strike on Saturday forcing three flights to be
cancelled.
While local media speculated that Prime Minister Antonio
Guterres might order the pilots back to work, Guterres held an
extraordinary cabinet meeting to discuss the strike.
The pilots decided on Thursday night to resume an indefinite
strike, and were refusing to operate flights laid on at short
notice, a TAP spokesman said.
The government has warned that the dispute during the peak
summer holiday season could lead the flagship carrier into
bankrupcy.
Public Works Minister Joao Cravinho, who is directly responsible
for TAP, cancelled his holidays in Brazil on Friday and returned
home to seek a solution to the dispute.
He met TAP chairman Manuel Ferreira Lima, but made no statement
before heading for the cabinet meeting.
Return flights between Oporto and Frankfurt and between Lisbon
and Madrid were cancelled on Saturday, along with a flight from the
island of Madeira to Lisbon, cancelled on Friday before the strike
began formally at midnight.
TAP spokesman Raul Alves Fernandes said alternatives had been
found for all the passengers.
The pilots say TAP employs too few of them, and that adminis-
trative staff often tell them at the last minute to change their
work schedules, forcing them to fly flights after inadequate rest
and jeopardising safety.
The government says it is doing all it can to satisfy the pilots'
demands by pressing ahead with plans to invest 800 million escudos
($4.2 million) to upgrade the computer system which works out flight
and work schedules.
The standoff has badly affected morale inside the airline, where
ground staff have accused the pilots of putting the jobs of the air-
line's 7,500 employees at risk.
Both TAP's management and the Civil Aviation Pilots' Union
(SPAC), which represents all of TAP's 430 pilots, say they are
willing to continue talks.
--------------------------
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|