Washington ------ The Air Force had indications
that dozens of missing American airmen were alive
in Chinese or North Korean prisons two years after
the Korean War, according to a newly declassified
report. The report provides new details about how many
men were left behind even after the exchange of
prisoners and who these Americans were. It also describes
a dramatic failed attempt to rescue five members of a B-29
bomber crew shot down six months before the war ended in
July 1953.
The report, labeled "secret," said the five "were known
to be alive in communist hands as of the close of the Korean
conflict."
389 Men Unaccounted For
The five never returned. Their names_and most of the others
mentioned in the newly released Air Force intelligence
report_are on a Defense Department list of 389 men from
all services who are unaccounted for from the war and about
whom the U.S. government believes China or North Korea
had information.
Both China and North Korea maintain they withheld no
American POWs from the war.
Chinese troops fought the war on North Korea's side
against the U.S.-led United Nations forces. China took
control of the prisoner-of-war camps in North Korea in
1951, and in some cases transferred U.S. POWs to China
for interrogations.
Compelling but unsubstantiated reports have emerged in
recent months suggesting a small number of U.S. servicemen
from the war may still be in North Korea. For the first time
since the end of the war, North Korea has begun addressing
the issue. It has agreed to discuss cases of missing
servicemen, and it is allowing Pentagon investigators this
summer to search areas of the country where remains of
American servicemen are believed to be buried.
On Monday, North Korean soldiers handed over four
sets of remains believed to be those of American soldiers.
Some Information Sketchy
The declassified Air Force report, dated Oct. 19, 1955, and
prepared by the Escape and Evasion Section of the 6004th
Air Intelligence Service Squadron, offers no proof that any
of the 137 men it mentions were still alive then; most of
the cases were based on sketchy information from repatriated
POWs, enemy propaganda broadcasts and intelligence
sources in North Korea.
The report was declassified on June 5 and is on file at
the National Archives. It describes the 137 men as Air Force
MIAs who "may possibly be alive or may have been alive in
communist captivity at one time" during the war.
The strongest statement in the report pertains to the case
of the five B-29 crew members: 1st Lt. Gilbert L. Ashley Jr.,
Airman 2nd Class Hidemaro Ishida, 1st Lt. Arthur R. Olsen,
2nd Lt. John P. Shaddick and 1st Lt. Harold P. Turner.
Their B-29 was shot down about 10 miles south of
Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, on Jan. 29, 1953.
Three other B-29s later spotted "what appeared to be a
signal" of flashing lights, possibly from the downed airmen,
the report said.
Daring Rescue Attempt
Although the site was behind enemy lines, a rescue attempt
was made on May 24. It failed.
The pilot of the rescue plane made radio contact with
Ashley on the ground as they prepared to pinpoint the
airmen's location and arrange a "snatch" pickup in which a
harness and cord dropped to the men would be hooked by a
cable extended from the rescue aircraft, allowing the men to
be reeled in to safety.
"The pilot reported that the voice was definitely that of
the American who had previously been identified as Lieutenant
Ashley," the report said. It said the rescue plane was
damaged by machine gun fire, forcing them to abort the
mission.
"Ashley and four crew members (Turner, Olsen,
Shaddick and Ishida) were known to be alive in communist
hands as of the close of the Korean conflict, July '53," the
report said. It does not say how the Air Force knew this.
Was He Still Alive?
In his book "Soldiers of Misfortune," journalist Mark Sauter
wrote that U.S. intelligence officials received a message,
apparently from Ashley's North Korean captors, that was
interpreted as confirmation the five were alive as of Aug. 4,
1953.
Ashley, of Rock Hall, Md., was 30 years old at the time
of his shootdown. Ishida's hometown was listed as
Richmond, Calif. Hometowns for the other three crew
members could not be determined.
Pilots Seen Months After Shootdown
The Air Force report also describes the case of Capt. Harold
M. Beardall, who went down in North Korea aboard a B-26
bomber on May 21, 1951. It mentions several sightings of
Beardall by other American POWs months after the
shootdown.
Beardall was said to have been "held separately from
other Air Force" POWs in North Korea. His name was on
Chinese hospital records of officers who were interrogated, it
said. "Names of this type we feel are alive," the report says.
An unidentified source is quoted in the report as saying
Beardall was tried as a war criminal, apparently by the
Chinese. Such "trials" were held for many U.S. officers, and
their "convictions" used as grounds for refusing to repatriate
them.
Maj. Kassel M. Keene, for example, who went missing
on Nov. 19, 1951, was said to have been sentenced in July
1953 for assaulting a fellow prisoner. "According to the
sentence, he was not to be effected (sic) by repatriation,"
the report said.
Some men listed in the Air Force intelligence report were
described as having been seen by other American POWs at
Kaesong, North Korea, where U.N. prisoners were taken in
preparation to be repatriated shortly after the end of the war.
-------------------------------------------
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|