Cites Differences Over Saudi Bombing - Air Force Chief Quits
Washington, D.C.--- Gen. Ronald Fogleman, the Air Force chief
of staff, today asked to retire ahead of schedule for "a variety of
reasons," including differences over responsibility for a terrorist
blast last year that claimed 19 airmens lives, Pentagon sources
said. Fogleman, the 16th Air Force chief of staff, would be the
first ever to step down voluntarily before his four-year terms was
up, if his request for retirement is accepted by Air Force Secretary
Sheila Widnall.
Widnall has not yet acted on the request, the sources said,
speaking only on condition of anonymity. He has served three years
of his four-year term.
Khobar Towers Bombing Key Issue
The sources said Fogleman took the dramatic step for "a variety
of reasons." It had been well-known around the Pentagon that the
four-star general had told associates he would resign if Air Force
generals were punished for not preventing the terrorist bombing at
Khobar Towers, a military barracks in Saudi Arabia, on June 25,
1996, in which 19 U.S. airmen were killed.
Defense Secretary William Cohen was scheduled to make a decision
this week on whether to hold one or more top Air Force officials
responsible for the incident.
Fogleman told Widnall he wants to retire as soon as possible and
not later than Sept. 1, one official said.
Fogleman informed his top staff of his decision this morning,
and that he was doing it for the good of the Air Force.
The officials said Foglemans action was linked largely to
Cohen's anticipated decision on Khobar Towers, although they were
not aware of what Cohen had decided.
CNN reported that Fogleman acted to avoid the appearance of try-
ing to influence Cohens decision on Khobar Towers.
---------------------------------------------------
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|