SPECIAL RELEASE:
CSICOP, NATIONAL ARCHIVES
GANG UP AGAINST MJ-12
ParaNet Alpha 0825 -- The Majestic-12 documents recently released by a
team of researchers led by William L. Moore, have come under considerable
fire from UFO skeptic Philip Klass of CSICOP.
In a dramatic press release issued August 20, CSICOP chairman Paul
Kurtz stated that "The evidence clearly shows that these are hoax docu-
ments."
The documents, in the form of a purported briefing given to Presi-
dent-Elect Dwight Eisenhower prior to his taking office in 1952, tell of a
special panel set up to advise the President on matters of crashed saucers
and recovered alien corpses. Moore and his associates claim to have re-
ceived the documents from an anonymous source in 1984, and to have discov-
ered an independent corroborative document in the National Archives, a
memo from Ike's special assistant Robert Cutler to Gen. Nathan Twining.
The document makes reference to the "NSC/MJ-12 Special Studies Project."
"For the first time," according to Moore, "we had an official docu-
ment available through a public source that talked about MJ-12."
Klass, relying heavily on a letter from the National Archives regard-
ing this memo, proceeds to sow considerable doubt as to its authenticity.
"Cutler could not possibly have written this July 14 [1952] memo," says
Klass,"because Cutler had departed Washington 11 days earlier on an extend-
ed trip to visit military facilities in Europe and North Africa and did
not return to Washington until July 15."
Other inconsistencies in the document, pointed out by Archivist Jo
Ann Williamson, include the lack of a proper register number as assigned
by the Archives, the lack of a watermark in use at the time, and the use
of a security classification that did not exist until the Nixon
Administration.
Moore and his associate, TV producer Jaime Shandera, had claimed
that they were the first to have access to the group of documents contain-
ing the controversial Cutler memo after they were declassified in 1985.
"It may be no more than coincidence," says Klass, "that this Cutler/Twi-
ning memo was first discovered at the National Archives by Moore and Shan-
dera." In a previous interview with Klass, he noted that it would be a
"simple task" to sneak a document into a folder at the archives. While in
Washington attending the MUFON conference, this reporter made a cursory
search at the National Archives Maryland Facility, and was given access to
newly declassified materials of the same record group as the purported
Cutler memo (RG 341) without being searched beforehand.
Another document included with the package received by Moore was a
letter marked TOP SECRET from Pres. Truman to James Forrestal, authorizing
the MJ-12 group to "proceed with all due speed and caution..." and makes
reference to "Operation Majestic Twelve." But Klass claims this, too, is a
forgery, "created by superimposing a spurious message on a photocopy of an
authentic Truman letter."
"Fabrication of counterfeit US Government documents is illegal," the
press release continues, "and [Klass] believes that those who concocted
the MJ-12 documents to dupe the public and fool the news media should be
brought to justice."
********
END SPECIAL RELEASE
********
ParaNet Alpha Library References:
MJ12DOCn.UFO where n=1 to 6
MJ12-1.UFO
MJ12-2.UFO MJ12QA.UFOParaNet maintains a rating of S5/P2 on the
Majestic-12 documents: Highly Strange, Probable Hoax.
--- msgedsq 2.0.5
---------------
* Origin: The Temples of Syrinx! (1:2430/2112)
|