| TIP: Click on subject to list as thread! | ANSI |
| echo: | |
|---|---|
| to: | |
| from: | |
| date: | |
| subject: | [news] Frentzen uncertain about future but still smiling |
Frentzen uncertain about future but still smiling Copyright c 1998 Nando Media Copyright c 1998 Reuters SPIELBERG, Austria (Jul 24, 1998 - 15:05 EDT) - Williams Formula One driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen refused to be drawn on Friday about rumours he is set to leave the British team. Ahead of Sunday's Austrian Grand Prix, the 31-year-old German was still smiling despite reports Williams were disappointed with his performance and would no longer be requiring his services in 1999. "I do not wish to speak about my future," he said. "I refuse to say whether I will remain in Formula One or move to the IndyCar series (in the United States)." And although the Williams team's technical director Patrick Head heavily criticised him in a British motorsport magazine -- saying the German often appeared to fall asleep during races -- Frentzen refused to comment. "I do not wish to speak about that," he told a news conference in Spielberg organised by his British-based team. "In fact, I do not wish to speak about Williams." When asked if he would speak about the present at all, Frentzen, once considered an up-coming talent who could challenge compatriot and two-time world champion Michael Schumacher, just grinned. "I will probably be making an announcement about my future in two to three weeks," said the man who was runner-up in last year's championship behind Canadian teammate Jacques Villeneuve. Frentzen, however, inherited that position after Schumacher lost all his points for crashing into Villeneuve in the season's closing race in Jerez, Spain. But he is nevertheless pleased with himself. "Last year we had a few mechanical failures but all in all it was a good year. We fought for the title which only one guy can win." This year, Frentzen and Villeneuve have collected only 19 points for the nine-times constructors' title winners Williams and only a single podium finish in the opening Australian Grand Prix. Frentzen finished third in that race and Villeneuve fifth to mark the F1 circuit's most successful team's best result of 1998. "This year has not been that great but I'm optimistic for the second half of the season. The car is getting better," said Frentzen, adding the British team's main problem had been the departure of star designer Adrian Newey in mid 1997. Newey moved to McLaren and designed the car which gave Mika Hakkinen four wins this season and put the Finn atop the drivers' standings. His team-mate David Coulthard topped the podium once and is overall third. "Since Newey left we have had problems with our aerodynamics. But recently we have been able to improve our whole package. I think we can do well in Austria." Villeneuve on Thursday announced he would be leaving Williams at the end of the year and had signed on with the new British American Racing team. Frentzen looks set to follow him out of the team as Williams have been talking to a number of drivers. They include defending IndyCar champion and current 'Champ Cars' leader Italian Alessandro Zanardi, the two Sauber drivers Jean Alesi and Johnny Herbert as well as Jarno Trulli from the Prost team. --- Msged/386 4.20 beta 4* Origin: Blizzard of Ozz, Melbourne, Australia (3:635/728.4{at}fidonet) SEEN-BY: 633/267 270 @PATH: 633/267 |
|
| SOURCE: echomail via fidonet.ozzmosis.com | |
Email questions or comments to sysop@ipingthereforeiam.com
All parts of this website painstakingly hand-crafted in the U.S.A.!
IPTIA BBS/MUD/Terminal/Game Server List, © 2025 IPTIA Consulting™.