| TIP: Click on subject to list as thread! | ANSI |
| echo: | |
|---|---|
| to: | |
| from: | |
| date: | |
| subject: | Weapon Threat Not Motive For War... |
Weapon threat not the motive for war, ex-spy says
By Tom Allard, Foreign Affairs Writer in Canberra and agencies
June 10 2003
Australia's premier intelligence analysis agency told the Federal
Government that Iraq's weapons of mass destruction threat was not the
prime motive for the United States going to war against Iraq, a former
intelligence officer said yesterday.
It was regarded as a "secondary issue", less important than regime
change and reshaping the Middle East by putting in place a pro-US
government in an oil-rich country and introducing democracy to the
region.
Domestic political considerations were also considered an important
factor by Australia's Office of National Assessments, according the
former ONA officer, Andrew Wilkie.
Before the war, the ONA, which is answerable to the Prime Minister and
cabinet, gave the Government reports on the US, as well as intelligence
assessments on Iraq.
"In the assessments on the US, it was being made very clear to
government all the things which were driving the US on Iraq. WMD
wasn't the most important issue. In fact, it was seen as a secondary
issue," Mr Wilkie said yesterday.
"It was also about the credibility of the US military. The US sees its
military and threat of force as one of its most important foreign policy
tools. They had threatened to use force and would lose credibility if they
didn't," Mr Wilkie said.
"The sum of all of these things was bigger than the impact of WMD."
The Australian Government cited the destruction of Iraq's WMD and the
possibility Saddam Hussein's lethal arms could be given to terrorists as
the casus belli.
It never mentioned re-fashioning the geopolitical landscape of the Middle
East as an objective of the war until after the war was won.
A spokesman for the Prime Minister noted that the ONA director-
general, Kim Jones, had said Mr Wilkie had been involved only in
providing reports on humanitarian aspects of the war.
Mr Wilkie left ONA in protest on the eve of the war in March.
The opposition parties are pushing for an independent inquiry into any
intelligence failure in the lead-up to the war.
Mr Wilkie's revelations came as a British newspaper reported that the
mobile laboratories found in Iraq and said to be built to make chemical
and biological weapons had been supplied by Britain in the late 1980s
to produce hydrogen for military balloons.
Also in Britain, the Prime Minister Tony Blair's spin doctor, Alistair
Campbell, wrote to the head of MI6 and promised to take more care in
presenting intelligence material to the public after a damaging row over a
dossier on Iraq's weapons.
The document - dubbed the "dodgy dossier" by British media - failed to
make clear the source of some information used to back the
Government's case for war.
Chunks of the report came from a student's thesis, which leaned heavily
on documents more than 10 years old.
The Home Secretary, David Blunkett, on Sunday became the most
senior minister to admit publicly it was wrong to publish the "dodgy
dossier".
In the US, the White House launched a co-ordinated effort to quell
accusations that it had exaggerated the threat posed by Saddam
Hussein.
-==-
Source: Sydney Morning Herald ...
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/10/1055010936009.html
Cheers, Steve..
---
* Origin: < Adelaide, South Oz. (08) 8351-7637 (3:800/432)SEEN-BY: 633/267 270 @PATH: 800/7 1 640/954 774/605 123/500 106/2000 633/267 |
|
| SOURCE: echomail via fidonet.ozzmosis.com | |
Email questions or comments to sysop@ipingthereforeiam.com
All parts of this website painstakingly hand-crafted in the U.S.A.!
IPTIA BBS/MUD/Terminal/Game Server List, © 2025 IPTIA Consulting™.