Royal jet chief quits after near-disaster - By Andrew Gilligan
Electronic Telegraph
THE chief of maintenance for the Queen's aircraft has resigned
after a damning official report into a near-disastrous engine failure
on one of the royal jets.
John Blackman left his job after RAF investigators uncovered ser-
ious weaknesses in servicing procedures for all the Queen's aircraft,
which make hundreds of flights a year with members of the Royal Fam-
ily and senior politicians on board. The mechanic who handled the
failed jet has also left his job.
Mr Blackman's resignation comes amid a series of damaging main-
tenance errors on the Queen's aircraft. The RAF is holding a further
board of inquiry into a second dangerous failure in the maintenance
of royal aircraft.
Aircrew of a Wessex helicopter - from which the Prince of Wales
had only just alighted - were horrified to find that they had been
flying with a "foreign object" stuck in the engine, which had caused
significant damage to the engine blades.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "There was an incident in-
volving a Wessex of the Royal Squadron on March 10 and a board of
inquiry has been established. The problem was discovered during a
routine turnaround investigation. A member of the Royal Family had
recently been on board."
The RAF is investigating whether cleaners employed by FRA Serco,
the Royal Squadron's privatised maintenance contractors, were to
blame for leaving a rag in the engine. Prince Charles had used the
helicopter to fly to an official engagement in Bridgend and was due
to return in it. The Wessex has a second engine which it can fly on
if necessary.
Mr Blackman had already left his post by the time of the March
incident. His resignation came after a BAe 146-100 aircraft of the
Royal Squadron was forced to make an emergency landing at Stansted
after all four engines developed major faults in the first 15 minutes
of a flight last November. No member of the Royal Family was in-
volved, but the Duke of York had flown on the same plane two days
earlier.
The investigation, by RAF Strike Command, blamed FRA Serco for
the "incorrect fitting" of plugs on the engines designed to stop oil
leaks. Without them, all four engines rapidly ran out of oil and
started to fail. But in an even more damning verdict, the Armed
Forces minister, John Reid, has said the specific failures were
"compounded by approved maintenance procedures not being completed
correctly". He said: "FRA Serco have accepted that they were at
fault. They have committed themselves to correcting the weaknesses
identified . . ."
Mr Blackman, the contract manager, was in overall charge of the
maintenance of all the aircraft at Northolt, including the three
BAe-146s of the Royal Squadron. Serco has provided engineering sup-
port for the royal planes since 1995 and day-to-day maintenance
since April last year.
A Serco spokesman said last night that Mr Blackman had resigned
voluntarily, but well-placed sources at RAF Northolt said that Mr
Blackman was "put in a position where he had no choice but to
resign".
Mr Reid's comments will add to the concern at the involvement of
private companies in what was once exclusively RAF work. Another
private contractor, Airwork Services, caused an estimated 100 million
pounds worth of damage to 16 Tornado fighter jets it was servicing.
The errors could have resulted in the loss of the aircraft in flight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Smaller world airports win good passenger ratings
GENEVA - April 19, 1998 10:13 a.m. EDT - Smaller world airports
generally win the highest ratings from passengers for traveller
convenience, although Singapore's Changi is seen as the best,
according to a survey published in the journal Airports World.
The following are the listings for the top five recorded in the
survey for the overall category and for airports handling more than
25 million passengers a year, between 15-25 million, and up to 15
million.
The survey was conducted late last year by the world airlines
body IATA. Airport World, organ of the Geneva-based Airports Council
International, carried a summary in its latest issue for April-May.
Overall convenience for all airports:
1. Singapore 2. Helsinki 3. Manchester 4. Melbourne 5. Geneva
Airports handling over 25 million passengers:
1. Amsterdam 2. Orlando 3. Atlanta 4. Chicago-O'Hare
5. Minneapolis-St. Paul
Airports handling 15-25 million passengers
1. Singapore 2. Zurich 3. Copenhagen 4. Cincinatti 5. Sydney
Airports handling up to 15 million passengers
1. Helsinki 2. Manchester 3. Melbourne 4. Geneva 5. Montreal-Mirabel
A total of 62 airports were included in the survey -- including 24
in North America, 16 in Europe, 13 in the Asia-Pacific region, and
nine in the Middle East. The views of 78,000 international passen-
gers were sought.
Airport World did not provide the exact scores of all airports,
calculated from passenger evaluations on a scale of 0-10, but in-
dicated what they were in the form of graphics.
Manchester, northwest England's booming international hub,
finally processed more than 15 million passengers in 1997. Airports
World said it would have been placed second in the 15-25 million
category.
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|