Navy jet crashes into Pacific; crew safe
WASHINGTON -- March 31, 1998 11:07 p.m. EST -- A U.S. Navy S-3
Viking jet crashed Tuesday morning into the Pacific Ocean about 30
miles off the coast of San Diego, a Navy spokesman told CNN.
The four crew members suffered only "minor injuries" after para-
chuting into the ocean, where rescue teams picked them up a short
time after the crash.
Three of the crew are spending the night in the Naval Hospital
on Balboa Island in San Diego. The fourth crew member was released
after being examined by doctors.
The S-3 was designed as an aircraft carrier-based anti-submarine
warfare jet, but has taken on additional roles in recent years such
as surveillance and in-flight refueling.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Helicopter carrying journalists, diplomats hits mines in Cambodia
SIEM REAP, Cambodia - April 1, 1998 06:55 a.m. EST - A helicopter
carrying Western journalists, diplomats and Cambodian soldiers set
off two land mines while trying to touch down at a remote temple
that until recently was rebel-controlled. Three people were injured.
A second helicopter flew the injured to the northern city of Siem
Reap for medical treatment. All were later discharged. They were
identified as Lawrence Pickup, deputy head of Britain's diplomatic
mission; Dom Hak, an army general; and the pilot, Koy Tha.
The overloaded, Soviet-built MI-8 transport helicopter, carrying
at least 44 people, was supposed to land at a helipad. But the pilot
apparently lost control in strong winds and came down on a mine
field instead, Dom Hak said.
"Two mines exploded right under the helicopter after it touched
down," Dom Hak said at Siem Reap provincial hospital.
The 16 journalists included Cambodian and foreign employees of
The Associated Press, World Television News, the British Broadcast-
ing Corporation, Reuters news agency, NDN TV of Japan, and German
television. In addition to the three injured people, some of the
other passengers were either shaken up or lightly bruised in the
explosion.
Thirty years of upheaval have left Cambodia with an estimated 4
million to 6 million land mines. They form a major part of the de-
fenses around the clifftop temple of Preah Vihear, located on the
Thai border and long a stronghold of the Khmer Rouge rebels.
The garrison of 80 or so guerrillas turned the nearly impregnable
base over to government soldiers in recent days without firing a
shot. Since then, troops from both sides have been passing time
peaceably among the 800-year-old temple ruins, a relic of the Angkor
empire.
Hundreds of guerrillas in the region have been defecting to the
government since last week, when a dissident faction mutinied against
their leaders in Anlong Veng, a jungle base about 40 miles west of
Preah Vihear.
Khmer Rouge radio loyal to the Anlong Veng leadership claimed
Wednesday that the temple was still in guerrilla hands.
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|