Teen hacker accused of crippling control tower at airport
BOSTON -- MARCH 19, 03:41 EST -- Sending a warning to young com-
puter hackers, federal prosecutors charged a teen-age boy with shut-
ting down an airport communications system.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Wednesday the Massachusetts boy,
whose name was not released, has agreed to plead guilty and faces
two years probation, a fine and community service.
The teen is the first juvenile charged in federal court with compu-
ter hacking, officials said.
The boy broke into a Bell Atlantic computer system on March 10,
1997, (Why so long to hit the news? Jim) stalling communication
between the control tower and aircraft at Worcester Airport for
six hours, authorities said. No accidents occurred.
"These are not pranks, this is not like throwing spitballs at your
teacher," U.S. Attorney Donald Stern said. "Hackers should know that
they will be caught and they will be prosecuted."
The teen-ager was charged with juvenile delinquency, the umbrella
charge that relates to all crimes committed by juveniles. In adult
cases, the charge is called intentionally accessing protected
computers.
"We dodged a bullet that day," said Joseph Hogan, area manager for
Robinson van Vuren, a company contracted by the Federal Aviation
Administration to operate air traffic control towers in New
England.
When the teen-ager used his computer to break into the phone company
computers, the system crashed, power was lost at the control tower
and phone service was shut off to 600 houses in Rutland, a central
Massachusetts community outside of Worcester.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Remnants of B-26 bomber from Bay of Pigs invasion found in Nicaragua
MANAGUA, Nicaragua - March 19, 1998 00:36 a.m. EST -- A U.S.
search team on Wednesday found pieces of a B-26 bomber that crashed
in 1961 while returning from bombing Cuba during the Bay of Pigs
invasion.
The discovery comes just three weeks after the U.S. government
published classified documents concerning the CIA-organized invasion,
a failed attempt to overthrow Cuba's communist government.
Two Cuban-born pilots are believed to have died in the crash on
April 17, 1961, when they were unable to reach their home base in
Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, after returning from a bombing run over
Cuba.
Amid the stony silence the CIA maintained over the failed inva-
sion for more than 30 years, the only person that heard the crash
was a lone Nicaraguan farmer, who didn't even reach the once heavily-
forested site of the crash until a year later.
"The farmer found a boot with a foot in it, and a piece of elbow
bone. He buried them, but he doesn't recall the exact spot," said
Hugo Mendieta, Nicaragua's civil aviation director, who accompanied
the search team.
The B-26 -- one of a squadron of nine planes deployed from Puerto
Cabezas, 190 miles northwest of Managua -- apparently crashed into a
3,100-foot mountain near San Jose de Bocay, about 30 miles short of
its destination.
No attempts to recover the bodies of pilots Crispin Lucio Garcia
Fernandez and Juan Mata Gomzalez Romero were made until 1985. They
were unsuccessful. The U.S. Embassy here called the search a "human-
itarian mission" aimed at returning the pilot's remains to relatives
in Miami.
But the search team, which includes experts from the U.S. Army's
Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii, didn't find much: some
pieces of the B-26's fuselage and engines.
The invasion by exiles on Cuba's southern coast was easily re-
pelled by Castro's forces, who killed 200 rebel soldiers and captured
almost 1,200. It was a major blow to the administration of former
President John F. Kennedy, who had been in office for only a few
months.
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|