U.S. military to blame pilots for cablecar disaster
WASHINGTON - March 11, 1998 3:06 p.m. EST - A military investi-
gation report to be released on Thursday has found the four-man
crew of a U.S. Marine Corps jet responsible for a cablecar tragedy
in Italy that killed 20 people, a defense official said on
Wednesday.
"The investigation found that the accident could have been
avoided. It cites pilot error and recommends that disciplinary
action be taken against the crew," the U.S. official, who asked
not to be identified, told Reuters.
Marine Corps officials had said the EA-6B Prowler jet was flying
far too low on Feb. 3 in the Dolomite mountains of northeastern
Italy when it slashed the overhead wires of a cablecar, sending 20
Europeans plunging to their deaths at a ski resort.
The results of the investigation are to be announced on Thursday
in Aviano, Italy, where the aircraft was based, by Marine Corps Maj.
Gen. Michael DeLong, who headed the investigation.
The U.S. official said at the Pentagon that DeLong had decided
to recommend that disciplinary action against the crew be taken by
Lt. Gen. Peter Pace, commander of U.S. Marine forces in the Atlantic
and based in Norfolk, Va.
Pace could take direct disciplinary action in the case, but is
more likely to order an "Article 32" review of the case to determine
whether the men should face a U.S. military court martial.
Italian authorities have asked to have jurisdiction over the men
if an Italian investigation determines that they should be charged.
But U.S. defense officials said it was unlikely that Army Gen.
Wesley Clark, commander of U.S. forces in Europe, would give up
American jurisdiction in the case.
The Marine Corps EA-6B was piloted by Capt. Richard Ashby, 30,
of Mission Viejo, Calif. The three electronic counter-measures
officers on board were Captains Joseph Schweitzer, 30, of Westbury,
N.Y.; William Raney, 26, of Englewood, Colo., and Chandler
Seagraves, 28, of Nineveh, Ind.
Relations between Italy and the United States suffered as a re-
sult of the disaster at the ski resort in Cavalese. Angry Italians
accused the U.S. military of trying to hide information from the
plane's flight recorder.
President Bill Clinton said at a news conference last month he
was "heartsick" about the accident and promised Italian Prime Min-
ister Romano Prodi that he would make absolutely sure that there
would be a full investigation into the matter.
The twin-engine electronics warfare plane was reportedly flying
at around 300 to 500 feet, far lower than regulations allow, when
it clipped the cable, snapping the wire and sending the car cabin
plummeting 650 feet onto an icy mountainside.
All 20 people inside the cablecar were killed. They included
holiday-makers from Italy, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and
Austria.
The plane, based at Aviano as part of a NATO force flying
missions over Bosnia, was on a routine training mission at the
time of the accident.
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|