Italy seeking to prosecute U.S. jet crew
ROME - February 19, 1998 10:01 a.m. EST -- Italy will seek U.S.
permission to prosecute the four-man crew of the U.S. Marine jet
that severed a ski gondola cable, killing 20 people, the justice
minister said Thursday.
The four Americans could face charges of manslaughter if the
United States agreed to permit them to face trial in Italy -- a
move that would be unprecedented.
Marines train in Italy under the auspices of NATO, and treaties
governing the alliance make U.S. military personnel subject only to
American law.
The jet sliced through the cable while flying low on a Feb. 3
training run from the U.S. air base of Aviano in northeast Italy.
The cable car plunged to the snowy mountainside, killing 19 skiers
and the cable car's operator.
Italian and American military investigators are conducting a
joint investigation to determine whether the crew or its commanding
officers should face charges.
Italian civilian prosecutors, however, want to the right to try
the Americans. Italy was seeking jurisdiction because Italians have
"shown the strong desire that justice be carried out in our coun-
try," Justice Minister Giovanni Maria Flick told Italy's parliament
Thursday.
"The U.S. will give full consideration" to the request, said an
Aviano spokesman, Tech. Sgt. Bill Lincicome. He emphasized, however,
there is no precedent for a NATO member to surrender jurisdiction
in a probe involving personnel on duty.
Italy's request is to be made in the next few days via the
foreign ministry.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Taiwan authorities criticized for handling of crash victims
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Feb 19, 1998 10:18 a.m. EST - Authorities were
hit by a wave of anger Thursday over what critics said was slow,
sloppy and disorganized handling of Taiwan's worst air crash. One
newspaper said looters had invaded the crash site.
A China Airlines Airbus A300 jet crashed Monday night as it
returned from Bali, killing 202 people, including six people on the
ground. Initial reports put the death toll at 203, but police
revised that figure Thursday.
The dead included five Americans, a U.S. government spokeswoman
confirmed Thursday.
The cause of the crash has not been determined, and so far there
has been no criticism of investigators. But victims' relatives and
newspapers excoriated authorities for their handling of victims'
bodies.
Many of the bodies were dismembered and badly burned in the
crash. By Thursday, only 110 bodies had been tentatively identified
and most were still being held for DNA testing.
The remains were wrapped in yellow funeral shrouds and sitting
in makeshift coffins in a morgue.
"There are no freezing facilities," a woman cried at the morgue.
"The bodies have been moved around several times."
Transport Minister Tsay Jaw-yang caused a public uproar with his
comments that the government's handling of the crash was "not much
inferior" to Japan's handling of a crash of a China Airlines plane
in 1994 that killed 264 people.
Lawmaker Wang Tien-chin asked Tsay to apologize to the each of
the victims' relatives for his remarks.
Several newspapers described Taiwan's handling of the crash as
sloppy and disorganized. The China Times reported that looters had
sneaked into the crash site and taken personal items of the victims.
U.S. spokeswoman Susan Stahl said families of all five Americans
who died in the crash had been notified. Stahl said she would pro-
vide no further information until identification of the bodies was
completed.
Three of the Americans have been identified in the United States.
They are 28-year-old fitness trainer Chris Cory and 35-year-old
Kenneth Cowan, a public TV producer, both of whom were identified
by employers in Boston, and Thomas Hadell of Ukiah, Calif.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
100 tons of food on the way to earthquake zone
DASHT-E-QALI, Afghanistan - February 19, 1998 07:42 a.m. EST --
A Hercules cargo plane parachuted food, plastic sheeting and other
emergency aid Thursday to snowbound residents of quake-ravaged
northeastern Afghanistan.
The plane took off from neighboring Pakistan to airdrop supplies
to the remote areas devastated by the Feb. 4 earthquake, which
killed at least 5,000 people and left another 30,000 homeless.
Snow and fog have so far blocked delivery of aid to many areas
devastated by the quake. But conditions improved today, allowing
the plane, leased by the United Nations and the Red Cross, to fly
supplies to Rustaq, the hardest-hit region.
"It's a clear sunny day . . . which is a miracle," said Rupert
Colville, a U.N. official. "We haven't had two good days running
since this began."
Colville spoke in the river town of Dasht-e-Qali, 18 miles from
the town of Rustaq, as he awaited the arrival of rafts loaded with
food and building material from U.N. warehouses in neighboring
Tajikistan.
The supplies will be transferred to trucks and shipped to quake
victims.
The Taliban Islamic militia so far has allowed aid convoys to
cross front lines to reach the quake-ravaged area, which is
controlled by a northern-based opposition alliance.
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|