Balloon Breaks From Mooring, Dashes Hopes - Up Up and Away (Empty)
Disaster hit British Tycoon Richard Branson a second time in his
effort to become the first man to fly a balloon non-stop around the
world. While it was being filled, gusting wind ripped his balloon
free from its moorings. (Reuters)
Marrakech, Morocco, Dec. 9 - British mogul Richard Branson's
hopes to fly around the world were dashed today when his balloon
accidentally took off without him.
Following a small explosion, the balloon whooshed up into the
sky as technicians were inflating it before the planned afternoon
send-off at a military air base near Marrakech.
Moroccan air traffic controllers put out a warning that the
balloon was on the loose.
"Everybody is gutted," said an emotional Branson, 47, speaking
on Sky TV. "If we can get the balloon back, we'll have another go
this year."
Branson, dressed in a green flying suit, watched as his balloon
floated away hundreds of feet overhead and headed eastward across
the Atlas Mountains toward Algeria.
Second Disappointment
It was the second time that disaster hit Branson's efforts to
become the first man to fly a balloon non-stop around the world.
The last attempt by Branson, head of the Virgin group of comp-
anies, to break the record ended when he and two co-pilots had to
land in the Algerian desert because of technical problems less than
24 hours after taking off from Morocco.
This time, the crew had hoped to succeed in crossing north
Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, the South China Sea, the Pacific and
the United States before landing in Britain after a 24,000-mile
trip expected to take 14-21 days.
Virgin spokesman Will Whitehorn said everyone involved was upset
by the loss and that the attempt has been canceled.
Branson's balloon, the Virgin Global Challenger, takes eight
hours to inflate, and the process was only partially complete when
it tore away from its moorings.
Organizers said the balloon could no longer be used and could
end up anywhere as it is was carried away by the jet stream.
Branson said he had no intention of giving up.
"When I first heard the news I thought it was all over, but I
think we will live to fight another day if not this year then
definitely next year," he said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
First victims of Siberian crash buried
IRKUTSK, Russia - December 9, 1997 11:47 a.m. EST - Two 8-year-
old girls, killed when a Russian military transport plane crashed
in a fireball next to a home from children, were buried Tuesday,
the first of more than 80 probable victims to be interred.
Lyudmila Shashkina and Yana Potanina, both in state care after
family breakdowns, were watching television when the Antonov An-124
came down moments after takeoff Saturday.
"These girls were totally burned," the home's director Galina
Kryukova told NTV television. "The first impact caught them ... In
all probability, they died in that instant."
The 140 other children were evacuated safely. Some of them shed
tears as they laid flowers as their friends were buried in sealed
caskets under bright sunshine at a snowbound cemetery.
A Russian Emergencies Ministry official in Irkutsk, 2,600 miles
and five time zones east of Moscow, told Reuters that 47 bodies and
17 body parts had been retrieved from the scene of the inferno.
Thirty-eight people were unaccounted for; they were assumed to be
incinerated in the cargo plane and in homes on the ground.
President Boris Yeltsin canceled a Kremlin ceremony at the last
moment on uesday, telling those who had gathered to receive awards:
"Funerals are going on in Irkutsk right now and I believe we should
get together again a bit later. This will be the right thing to do,
in a Christian and simply human sense."
He then called for a minute's silence.
Rescue workers gave up hope of finding survivors after three
days of sub-zero temperatures. On Tuesday they began demolishing
the building, once home to 106 people, which bore the brunt of the
impact and intense fire that left only the huge tail of the 340-ton
aircraft recognizable.
The remains of about half the 15-person air force crew have been
identified. Six engineers also died. They were accompanying two
Sukhoi Su-27 fighters which were in the hold, being exported to
Vietnam. There are still conflicting reports about how many victims
there may have been on the plane and on the ground.
Witnesses said the plane, in the air for just 21 seconds, came
down in silence. Officials say it appeared that at least three if
not all four of its jet engines failed.
Investigators are still going through evidence from the black
box flight recorders.
Nikolai Kovalyov, the head of Russia's Federal Security Service,
told Interfax and RIA news agencies that he had all but ruled out
any criminal act and that the focus of investigation was the pre-
sence of summer aviation fuel in the plane's tanks.
The Antonov, one of the world's biggest aircraft, was carrying
60 tons of summer fuel in temperatures of some minus 13 degrees
Fahrenheit, Kovalyov said.
The Ukrainian designers of the 11-year-old plane told Reuters
they believed the freighter was unlikely to have suffered a simul-
taneous engine failure without some other factor being in play, like
a failure to have warmed the aircraft properly before takeoff or
poor low-temperature maintenance, they said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
===
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|