Passengers not bothered by new United carry-on rules
DES MOINES, Iowa -- December 1, 1997 9:06 p.m. EST -- There was
little grumbling among United Airlines passengers flying out of Des
Moines on Monday as the carrier started limiting passengers paying
low fares to just one carry-on item rather than the standard two.
The rule, which affects only United flights departing Des Moines
International Airport, is aimed at speeding up boarding and satis-
fying business travelers longing for more space.
"It's an inconvenience for people to jam that (carry-on bags)
in and then try get up and down the aisle," said Jack Trant, who
was returning to Virginia Beach, Va., with his wife. "This will
help us move efficiently into the plane."
The airline hopes to eventually extend the policy to all flights
to free up carry-on space for business travelers, who usually pay
more and sometimes complain they can't find room for their bags.
"We'll probably board a little quicker and probably get off a
little quicker," said Doug Cooprider, a business traveler from
Nevada, Iowa, flying coach to Chicago.
United spokesman Tony Molinaro said the airline chose Des Moines
to test its new rule because of the area's high percentage of busi-
ness travelers.
Des Moines has four times the business travelers using United to
fly out of comparably sized cities such as Omaha, Neb., and Kansas
City, Mo., Molinaro said.
Laptops, briefcases, purses, coats, reading material and baby
bags do not count toward the one item rule.
Last month, Northwest Airlines began permitting travelers just
one carry-on bag plus a small addition such as a purse or laptop. A
recent American Airlines change requires attendants to determine the
number of acceptable carry-ons for all flights by gauging the
passenger load.
The Federal Aviation Administration is asking airlines to amend
and clarify their carry-on policies as regulators work on developing
guidelines.
Charles Jackson, who clutched a large garment bag as he waited
for a United connecting flight back to Chicago, said such a rule
wouldn't make him look to other airlines.
"It doesn't affect me because I always take only one bag,"
Jackson said.
---------------------------------------------------------------
British Airways says Laker suit thrown out of court
LONDON -- December 2, 1997 1:59 p.m. EST -- British Airways Plc
said on Tuesday a Florida court had thrown out a legal suit brought
against the airline by Laker Airways Inc. and its owner Freddie
Laker.
Florida-based Laker Airways sued British Airways in U.S. Dis-
trict Court in Miami in June, alleging British Airways had used its
dominant position to prevent Laker from getting desirable takeoff
and landing slots at London's Gatwick Airport.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Air industry hopes to cut accidents in half
LONDON - December 2, 1997 10:35 a.m. EST - Faced with the risk
of one accident a week as air traffic soars, the industry aims to
halve the number of air losses by the year 2004, International Air
Transport Association director-general Pierre Jeanniot said on
Monday.
"Our accident rate has remained relatively flat over the last
few years ... and with our traffic volumes doubling every 10 years
... we could well be witnessing one air accident a week ... by the
year 2010," Jeanniot told a conference on the future of air
transport.
"Such a vision of the future is totally unacceptable," he said.
"So ... as an interim measure ... we aim to halve the accident rate
... as measured by hull losses ... by 2004.
"This is IATA's most important strategic objective ... the cred-
ibility of our industry is at stake," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Israeli airline to add female pilots
JERUSALEM - December 2, 1997 06:29 a.m. EST - The cockpit of
Israel's national airline is no longer an all-male bastion. El Al
Israel Airlines said Tuesday it was dropping a requirement its pilots
serve in the Israel Air Force, where, to date, only men have flown.
It announced the change in a Tel Aviv labor court on Monday where
32-year-old Orit Katzir, an Israeli woman pilot with 10 years of
experience flying commercial planes abroad, had challenged the
policy.
"We say this policy is, apart from other things, sexual discrim-
ination because women couldn't qualify," said Hadas Tagari, a lawyer
for Katzir. The airline first rejected Katzir's application in Sep-
tember 1993, the lawyer said.
El Al spokesman Nachman Klieman, citing changes in company ob-
jectives, said Tuesday: "We have no problem in seeing them join the
ranks of El Al employees.
"It makes no difference as long as they are capable of operating
the equipment and pass the test," he said.
Tagari, a lawyer for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel,
said: "We know they've canceled this prerequisite but we don't know
all the details ... Hopefully it will bring about a change of this
policy."
Israel's High Court ruled in 1995 that the air force must accept
women into its pilot training program, but none have yet received
military wings.
Israeli women are drafted at age 18 for two years of army service
but are barred from most combat units. Men do three years of manda-
tory service and many years of reserve duty.
====
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|