Search for black box at Indonesian crash site delayed
BUAH NADAR, Indonesia -- Sept. 28, 1997 08:21 a.m. EDT -- Heavy
rains Sunday forced a delay in the search for the flight recorder
of an Indonesian Airbus that crashed in north Sumatra, killing all
234 aboard, after reporting haze in the area.
Officials from Garuda Indonesia, the country's flagship airline,
said the search for the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice
recorder, the so-called black boxes, of the Airbus A300-B4 which
crashed on Friday would be resumed at dawn.
The recorders will be crucial in determining the cause of the
crash, and whether the haze from forest fires on Sumatra played a
part.
An air force official earlier said the remains of the 222 pas-
sengers and 12 crew had been removed from the wreckage, which is
strewn across a deep ravine crossing a hillside banana and palm
plantation 30 miles south of the city of Medan.
The Garuda plane had been on a flight from Jakarta to Medan when
it went down minutes after the pilot reported low visibility because
of a smoky haze.
Garuda officials said 74 of the bodies had been identified and
55 of them had been flown to Jakarta. All unidentified bodies would
be given a mass burial on Monday, alongside another mass grave con-
taining 62 people who died in a plane crash in 1979, they said.
Rescue workers battled through slush and tangled undergrowth to
bring the bodies out of the ravine and to the road leading to Medan.
They were then placed in coffins and taken to a community hall
adjacent to the airport. Wreaths were laid along a low stage at one
end of the hall.
Bush fires mainly in Sumatra and Kalimantan on the Indonesian
portion of Borneo Island have sent a choking, health-threatening
smog over neighboring Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei and as far as
Thailand and the Philippines in what experts have called a major
environmental disaster.
The smog will be one of the factors examined in an inquiry into
the crash, but other Garuda pilots expressed scepticism that the
haze would have been a prime cause.
The veteran pilot of the Airbus told the Medan control tower he
was flying through smoky haze on his approach to the city's Polonia
international airport, Antara had reported.
"We are still searching for the black box and because of that,
we cannot make any assumption as to the cause of the crash yet,"
said an official with the Aircraft Accident Commission.
"Haze is an ordinary thing for pilots," said Shadrach Nababan,
the head of the Garuda Indonesia Communications Forum for Pilots.
"There are instruments in the plane and on the ground which can be
used."
Another pilot said the plane had left its flight path and was
flying too low.
Transport Minister Haryanto Dhanitirto was quoted by Antara as
saying: "Whether the plane flew low because of the pilot, or because
of instructions from air traffic control, or because of engine
trouble -- all are still being investigated. That will be looked
at by the independent investigation team."
Medan airport was closed from after the crash until Sunday morn-
ing because of the haze. A special flight carrying relatives of the
victims arrived at the city in the morning, after repeated postpone-
ments since early on Saturday.
Many of them identified the charred and decomposed bodies of
their loved ones from pieces of clothing.
The Italian embassy in Jakarta said the victims included a
couple from Bologna on their honeymoon. The British embassy said
two Britons were aboard.
Antara reported six Japanese, four Germans, two Americans, a
Belgian and possibly six Taiwanese also on the plane.
The news agency quoted a member of the forensic team at Adam
Malik hospital as saying there were two "strange" corpses, and
suggested they might have been stowaways or people killed on the
ground.
It was not clear if this would raise the overall toll.
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|