U.S.-German plane collision may have been due to pilot error
BONN (September 22, 1997 3:09 p.m. EDT) - Pilot error may be to
blame for a collision between U.S. and German military planes off
southern Africa nine days ago, Namibian air traffic control head
Jochen Sell told Germany's Deutschlandfunk radio Monday.
The flight lieutenant on the German army Tupolev TU-154 did not
inform the Windhoek flight control center that he had entered
Namibian air space, Sell said.
His statement reinforces Namibian claims that the German plane's
flight plan had not been communicated to them. Bonn has denied the
Namibian claims.
German Defense Minister Volker Ruehe later said flight informa-
tion, giving details of the plane's altitude and timetable en route
from Cologne to South Africa, with stops at Niamey and Windhoek,
had been drawn up.
Unfortunately, the details arrived in corrupted form at Johan-
nesburg, which did not automatically send them further on, he said.
Ruehe said Johannesburg asked for a new telex of the flight
plan, but that request never reached airport authorities in
Cologne.
The defense minister said the inquiry must now concentrate on
Angola, which he said had still not released recordings of its air
traffic radio.
"It is very very important to determine what contact there was
between the Tupolev and Luanda," he said.
Sell, in his interview, also said the crew of the U.S. Air Force
C-141 cargo plane was using a little-used radio frequency that the
German pilot was unable to pick up.
German defense ministry spokesman Hans-Dieter Wichter dismissed
the criticism as "extremely surprising."
The German military Tupolev TU-154 plane was carrying 24 people
when it disappeared from radar screens on September 13, while the
C-141 had nine people on board.
So far, the only body recovered has been that of a stewardess on
board the German army plane. The aircraft collided 95 nautical miles
from the mouth of the river Kunene, on the border between Namibia
and Angola.
-----------
American Eagle lawsuit settled before trial
CHICAGO (September 22, 1997 3:04 p.m. EDT) ---- Families of 68
people killed three years ago when an American Eagle flight slammed
into an Indiana farm field settled their lawsuits Monday with the
airline and manufacturers of the airplane.
"We are terribly sorry that this happened," American Airlines
attorney Anton Valukas said as the settlement was announced. "We
can never compensate you for the loss that you have suffered."
The exact amount of the settlement was not disclosed immediate-
ly. In six cases, the monetary award has not been settled yet.
"It was very fair," said Kim Collins, 36, of Pittsburgh. Her
sister, Sandi Modaff, was a flight attendant on the plane. "This is
a sad day. It brought all that back."
American Eagle Flight 4184, bound from Indianapolis to O'Hare
International Airport, was in a holding pattern in a freezing rain
the evening of Oct. 31, 1994, when it suddenly rolled and plunged
to the ground near Roselawn, Ind. All aboard the French-built
ATR-72 turboprop died.
The crash led the National Transportation Safety Board in 1996
to urge tighter regulations on flights by commuter aircraft in
icing conditions.
The NTSB said the flight's crew was not responsible.
It issued a report blaming French aviation authorities and the
makers of the aircraft, and said the Federal Aviation Administration
failed to exert proper authority over the aircraft's maker.
The board concluded that ATR failed to adequately report previous
problems encountered by its planes in icy conditions.
It also blamed the French Directorate General for Civil Aviation
for failing to oversee the manufacturer and to inform the FAA about
the airworthiness of the ATR planes in icy conditions as specified
by international agreements.
----------------------------
OLVESTON, Montserrat _ A volcanic avalanche of super-heated ash
and rock tore through Montserrat's abandoned airport Sunday, ignit-
ing its wood-frame terminal building and burying parts of the runway
before racing into the sea.
The airport, on the eastern coast of this British Caribbean
colony, was closed days before a June 25 eruption killed 19 people
less than a mile away.
---------------------
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|