| TIP: Click on subject to list as thread! | ANSI |
| echo: | |
|---|---|
| to: | |
| from: | |
| date: | |
| subject: | Inquiry Called in Arar Case |
Liberals call inquiry into Arar case By ALLISON DUNFIELD Globe and Mail Update The federal government announced Wednesday that it will hold a public inquiry into the actions of Canadian officials and the RCMP with regard to the detention and deportation Maher Arar. The Liberals had been under increasing pressure to look into the case from Mr. Arar himself to opposition parties and civil rights groups. Mr. Arar, a Syrian Canadian who was deported to Syria by U.S. authorities on suspicion of terrorist activities, has been calling on Ottawa for months to convene an inquiry. He wants the government to determine the role that the RCMP or other agencies might have played in the decision by U.S. authorities to send him to Syria, where he was jailed and allegedly tortured. He said Wednesday that he was pleased the Liberals had called the inquiry and called it a "great day for Canadian justice". "It is...very important to ensure this inquiry can, indeed, clear my name and answer all of our questions so that we can begin to rebuild our lives. "Today is the first day of the beginning of the victory for justice," Mr. Arar's wife, Monia Mazigh, said at a press conference after the couple had learned of the probe. Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan announced the public inquiry Wednesday morning at a press conference. "The Prime Minister has indicated to Canadians that he wanted to get to the bottom of this," Ms. McLellan told a news conference in Ottawa. After "monitoring the situation closely," Ms. McLellan said, she has advised Mr. Martin that now is an appropriate time to call the inquiry into the treatment of Mr. Arar. She would not say whether continued pressure from Mr. Arar and various groups contributed to the government's decision. "This situation has involved many ... twists and turns. There is no one single event that led me to make my recommendation." Speaking at a news conference later in the day, Prime Minister Paul Martin said he wanted to wait for Ms. McLellan's advice before the inquiry was called. Mr. Martin said he had not changed his mind from several weeks ago, when he said that he was waiting on the results of an RCMP inquiry into the Arar matter. Mr. Martin said he wanted to wait until Ms. McLellan had looked at all the evidence before a decision was made. "What we want are the facts out as quick as possible," Mr. Martin said. Mr. Justice Dennis O'Connor from the Ontario Court of Appeal will undertake the inquiry. He also oversaw the high-profile Walkerton inquiry. Judge O'Connor will also make recommendations on an independent, arm's length review mechanism for the RCMP's activities with respect to national security, which would help plug a gap in federal legislation that it admits allows the RCMP to conduct national-security investigations without independent review. In terms of the Arar inquiry, Judge O'Connor will have all the rights and powers set out in the Inquiries Act, Ms. McLellan said. That includes the authority to hold public hearings, summon witnesses, compel testimony and gather any evidence needed to conduct the inquiry. Mr. Arar's lawyer, Lorne Waldman, said he plans to propose several terms of reference to the government for the inquiry. Mr. Arar said he wants several questions answered, including: "What information did the RCMP and CSIS pass on to the Americans that led to the belief I was a terrorist? How complete, accurate and reliable was that information?" He said while he would be pleased if he was offered some compensation, a public clearing of his name is vital. "Otherwise I'm not going to find a job. I'm going to stay in Hell. My family will suffer. My children will suffer. I just want everyone to understand this point," Mr. Arar said. The Deputy Prime Minister said she does not know how long the inquiry would take. A federal election is expected to be called in April, but Ms. McLellan said the timing of the inquiry and when recommendations are made will be up to Mr. O'Connor. All of the final report is to be made public except for information that deals with concerns around national security, she said. Last week, the RCMP raided the home and office of an Ottawa newspaper reporter, looking for evidence that one of its own officers might have leaked information in the politically charged case. Ms. McLellan would not, however, comment on the raid, saying that it is part of a police investigation. Mr. Arar has maintained his innocence, though he did acknowledge that he confessed under torture. Last week, he filed a lawsuit against U.S. Attorney-General John Ashcroft and other U.S. officials, alleging that they knew he would be tortured when they deported him to Syria. He has also pondered a suit against the Canadian government. His lawyers have filed lawsuits against Syria and Jordan, where he was first sent from the United States. --- GoldED/W32 3.0.1* Origin: MikE'S MaDHousE: WelComE To ThE AsYluM! (1:134/11) SEEN-BY: 633/267 270 @PATH: 134/11 10 123/500 106/2000 633/267 |
|
| SOURCE: echomail via fidonet.ozzmosis.com | |
Email questions or comments to sysop@ipingthereforeiam.com
All parts of this website painstakingly hand-crafted in the U.S.A.!
IPTIA BBS/MUD/Terminal/Game Server List, © 2025 IPTIA Consulting™.