Egyptian plane skids off runway in Turkey
ISTANBUL, Turkey (August 11, 1997 6:34 p.m. EDT) -- An EgyptAir
jetliner from Cairo skidded off the runway and into mud while land-
ing Monday at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport, the Anatolia news agency
said.
All 136 passengers and 14 crew members aboard the Boeing-767
left the plane safely, the report said.
Eighteen passengers were injured at the same airport a year ago
when another EgyptAir plane missed the runway, skidded onto a road
and hit a taxi.
---------------
Fine Air denies overloading planes
MIAMI (August 11, 1997 7:05 p.m. EDT) -- In the wake of a fatal
air crash in Miami, the president of Fine Air Monday rejected
allegations by former employees that the cargo carrier routinely
overloaded its planes.
"We refute in the strongest terms possible any allegations about
Fine Air made by a few former employees," Barry Fine, president and
chief executive officer of Fine Air, said in a statement he read to
reporters.
"We have and will continue to run a safe air cargo transporta-
tion service with the highest integrity and standards."
A Fine Air DC-8 loaded with a cargo of denim for factories in
the Dominican Republic crashed on take-off from Miami International
Airport last Thursday, killing four people on board and one person
on the ground.
In the wake of the accident former employees were quoted in
local media as saying that Fine Air planes were frequently
overloaded.
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigators said
at the weekend they had ruled out overloading as the cause of Thurs-
day's crash as the plane had climbed to 600 feet before it
plummeted. They are now focusing on whether the load was properly
secured.
"We are interested in how the cargo was loaded on the plane and
really that's the focus of our investigation, NTSB official Robert
Benzon told Miami's ABC-affiliate WPLG News.
"It's too early to make a conclusion on that...there may have
been some discrepancies there," he said.
Benzon said "quite a few" locks used to secure pallets to the
cargo hold's floor had been found undamaged, indicating they were
never locked.
Thursday's ill-fated flight was loaded by a freight company
named Aeromar. Fine said he was taking immediate steps to ensure
that all Fine Air aircraft were safely loaded, whether Fine Air or
an outside shipper was handling the cargo.
"Let me stress that Fine Air has had an excellent safety record
-- more than 30,000 flights in our five-year history, without a
single accident until last week," he said.
He also said that an ongoing Federal Aviation Administration
investigation into 29 Fine Air crewmen had nothing to do with
flight safety.
"This is a matter involving administrative documents for cargo
flights operated into two specific high-altitude airports in South
America. None of these flights dealt with overweight aircraft," he
said.
The crewmen, whose licences the FAA wants suspended, will con-
tinue to fly during the investigation which could take between six
months and a year, he said.
Fine Air has been operating normally since the crash, he added.
The airline, which also handles aircraft maintenance, is one of the
biggest cargo operators based in Miami. It flys to the Caribbean
and Latin America.
Fine also expressed sympathy to the families of the five victims
of the crash.
One of them, Renato Alvarez, was buried in Miami Monday. He had
been bringing home lunch for his wife when the plane crashed. It
ploughed across a main road, scooping up his car as it erupted
into flames.
------------
--- DB 1.39/004487
---------------
* Origin: Volunteer BBS (423) 694-0791 V34+/VFC (1:218/1001.1)
|