| TIP: Click on subject to list as thread! | ANSI |
| echo: | |
|---|---|
| to: | |
| from: | |
| date: | |
| subject: | Copps Loses Nomination |
Copps won't leave her home turf quietly By GLORIA GALLOWAY Canadian Press (Stoney Creek, Ont.) The day after her ignoble defeat at the hands of a Paul Martin cabinet minister on her beloved home turf, Sheila Copps was not going quietly. Defiant but calm, the former minister said she's considering a formal challenge to Transport Minister Tony Valeri's nomination win in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek. "A lot of these people are really hurting and I owe it to them to explore whatever options are available, and if there are no options, well, that's an option, too," said Ms. Copps as she entered a Sikh temple in Stoney Creek to thank her supporters. It was here in this gritty steeltown neighbourhood late Saturday night that the Copps campaign received its fatal blow after weeks of frantic scrounging for votes by both sides. Party sources said Mr. Valeri won by just 311 ballots out of a healthy turnout of 5,313 votes cast. The woman who once called herself "nobody's baby" said she's looking at all options, including a formal appeal to the party and action through the Canada Elections Act. The political damage was palpable as the once-loyal Liberal footsoldier cast blame on party brass and Prime Minister Paul Martin's own circle for manipulating the process. "When the party takes sides, that's a problem," she said. "When the leadership selectively uses the rules to massage an outcome, that's a problem." Mr. Valeri dismissed the insinuation as "rhetoric" from a vanquished street fighter. He said Ms. Copps's claim that 400 of her supporters who had transferred their memberships to the riding had been left off the voting list by provincial wing officials was just a last-ditch attempt to overcome his support. "I guess if the margin was 500, she'd pick 600 [as the number of missing forms] it's nothing more than rhetoric." At least 500 of his own supporters had been left off the list for the same reason, he said. The minister also said Ms. Copps' complaint that the official list of members was delivered Friday at midnight instead of seven full days ahead of the vote didn't hold water he got his list at the same time, he said. Mr. Valeri contends the battle for the nomination in the newly-formed riding had nothing to do with Mr. Martin's desire to purge the party of remnants of the Jean Chr‚tien era, after years of animosity between the prime minister and his predecessor. "I refute the argument," he said. "We're Liberals. We're not Chr‚tien Liberals. We're not Martin Liberals." Does Mr. Valeri have strong feelings about knocking out a longtime Liberal heavyweight? "Absolutely," he said. "I didn't relish the fact we were in a nomination fight." But he adds, "every time we've had a nomination battle, every time we've had a leadership race, the party has come together." Still, with similar bloody battles brewing elsewhere, political watchers and the party's old guard are growing increasingly concerned about civil war on the brink of an expected spring election call. A Pandora's box of riding wars has opened up in Ontario, with sitting MPs striking out at each other and charges that Mr. Martin's supporters are meddling in local affairs. Last November, Mr. Martin said he would not guarantee any sitting MP their nomination. In Mississauga-Erindale, another epic battle was to be played out Sunday between the feisty Carolyn Parrish and former cabinet minister Steve Mahoney. In Ottawa on Saturday, Martin favourite David McGuinty beat out former city councillor Diane Deans for the nomination in Ottawa South, a riding his brother Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty represents provincially. Mr. Deans had complained of being pressured by Mr. Martin's inner circle to drop out of the race. Concerns about grassroots strength is greater than before now that the Liberals have dropped in the polls in the wake of a sponsorship scandal, which last week prompted Mr. Martin to fire two key Chr‚tien appointees Jean Pelletier and Marc LeFrancois at Via Rail. Ms. Copps's strength grew last year across the country as she campaigned against Mr. Martin for the party leadership; many of those organizers have decided to opt out of involvement in a likely spring election as a result of the Hamilton contest. Other star candidates will choose not to run after the Hamilton battle. Former provincial Tory speaker Gary Carr, for example, won't seek a Liberal nomination, sources said. Ms. Copps confirmed Sunday she's received offers from ridings in B.C. and Quebec to seek the Liberal nomination there. But she said first she wants to get some sleep and talk to her family before making any decisions. She has 72 hours to challenge the Valeri outcome at the party level, and her organizers are collecting documents now, she said. But, Ms. Copps added, "I don't have a tremendous amount of faith in the party to resolve these issues." And, for the first time in her 20-year federal career, Ms. Copps said she may have to accept the message from above. "I guess the other [option] is to hear the message which seems to be fairly loud and clear from the current Liberal government that I guess they don't really want me in Ottawa." --- GoldED/W32 3.0.1* Origin: MikE'S MaDHousE: WelComE To ThE AsYluM! (1:134/11) SEEN-BY: 633/267 270 @PATH: 134/11 10 123/500 106/2000 633/267 |
|
| SOURCE: echomail via fidonet.ozzmosis.com | |
Email questions or comments to sysop@ipingthereforeiam.com
All parts of this website painstakingly hand-crafted in the U.S.A.!
IPTIA BBS/MUD/Terminal/Game Server List, © 2025 IPTIA Consulting™.